Tis the season. Our season. The holidays are a marketer's bread and butter. This year we thought we'd celebrate by doing a fun (and educational!) holiday piece - just like the best toys we received as kids. Each day, we'll update this blog post with a new marketing tidbit. For the next 25 days, we're here to help you laugh, learn, and gear up for whatever 2019 has in store!
The 25 Days of Content Marketing
25. The first email blast ever was sent in 1978 for DEC System 2020 to around 500 recipients. It definitely startled and angered quite a few recipients, but it generated $13 million worth of sales for DEC machines.
24. Content marketing is growing faster and faster, and soon all marketing will likely be content-based. In 2019, look for long-form content to become the biggest star on the tree.
23. Gartner says that by the year 2021, 50% of enterprise companies will spend more on bots and chatbot creation than they will on traditional mobile app development.
21. 2019 is the year to focus down your content. Stop making content just to make content and begin to narrow down your audience and topics. Be sure to use key terms and tag them appropriately to corner your digital space in the market.
20. By 2021, over 80% of internet content consumption is projected to be video.
19. Not sure if Alexa or Google have told you, but voice search is taking over. In 2019, get ready to optimize your content for voice search - whether you're upping your keyword game or have the bandwidth to create an Alexa Skill for your industry.
18. Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) are about to explode. In 2019, using AR and VR will put you ahead of the competition. For example, having a VR simulation of your product available at a tradeshow will be the most immersive touchpoint available.
17. Content marketing services revenue from 2014 to 2019 is expected to nearly double, from $26.5B to $50B.
16. Lead nurturing is vital now for all marketers. In 2019, it's time to stop the one-off email promotions and learn how to truly create a lead journey for all prospects to lead them through the demand generation waterfall.
15. The average attention span has dropped from 12 seconds to 8 seconds since 2000.
14. This sweet chart shows where your content should be focused in 2019.
13. Don't be afraid to take a risk in 2019, but be sure to do your homework and consider all possible outcomes. Remember that the people have a voice, and be wary of misinterpretation. Here's a few good examples of major marketing fails in recent years.
12. As of December 2018, only 54% of B2B marketers are using content to “delight” and build loyalty with existing clients/customers. In 2019, remember that even in B2B it's important to be exciting and personal in your marketing efforts.
(Sources: Hubspot, Time, Mashable, Marketo, Statista, CMI)